REVIEW LIST

Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.1

Create Realistic Images and Videos with the New Photoshop Creative Cloud

By Isay Almenanza

On Monday, April 7, 2014

The Adobe Photoshop CC 14.2, or the Adobe Creative Cloud, is the most dependable version of Photoshop to date. It does help to be highly stable when it is the industry’s standard image editor. Added to it are a number of remarkable new features to look out for.

Considerably the most noticeable new feature of Photoshop is the Content Aware tool. It makes editing more "intelligent" for this image editor. It cleverly moves objects that are selected and adjusts them in accordance with the surrounding background. This enables users to easily drag and drop objects in Photoshop without readjusting the background.

Along with the new tool is a streamlined interface and a new design. When users first open the image editor, the most eye-catching new feature is the overhauled colorful user interface. Another feature to go along with the new interface is that it can be reverted to the old grey interface if users don't want the new look. This feature is available through the Interface sub-menu under the Preferences.

In addition, for the first time, basic video editing tools have been added to Photoshop. It is very useful when retouching scenes, filtering sets, and adjusting colors. Although it is not very advanced, it also allows users to add audio tracks. With both still images and video editing functions, the Adobe Photoshop CC 14.2 truly deserves to be an industry staple software.

Pros

• It is flexible and powerful for both basic and expert users
  • It is easy to use because of its intuitive interface
  • It has keyboard shortcuts for faster editing
  • It can produce very realistic effects

Cons

• It requires a steep learning curve from its users
  • It requires a powerful PC to operate
  • It requires a powerful PC to operate
  • It obliges users to pay a one-year mandatory commitment
Usability:
Performance:
Ease to access guides and manuals:
Interface:

Micromax pc suite 1.08

Manage, Organize and Backup Your Files with This Free Management Program

By Isay Almenanza

On Monday, April 7, 2014

There are a lot of different gadgets today, especially mobile/smartphones and we use them for various reasons. I’m one of those who take very good care of what I have and like to keep things in an organized manner, but not too much and not everything!

I had the chance to use Micromax PC Suite for my Micromax phone and I can say that I am overall satisfied with it. It works the same as other PC suites in which the main advantage is to help you manage all files stored in your phone like photos, videos, contacts, music, etc. I have a bunch of these and it’s important that I have copies of them on my PC or laptop. In case something happens to my phone, I have them backed up, which is the most important thing.

Installing this app is easy and takes very little of your time and there will be an option where you can select your phone model. The phone connects to the computer via USB. The main interface is pretty straightforward. There are small icons and buttons at the top and a panel on the left. The left panel has the same settings or options as the phone; Phonebook, Message, Settings, Images, Melody, MMS and File Manager. All of these are already familiar to almost every mobile phone user. You just need to check out each of the options then start organizing and customizing files. It’s as easy as that!

Pros

• Easy to understand user interface
  • Works with the latest version of Windows
  • File management is a breeze
  • Easy to transfer data from phone to PC and vice versa

Cons

• Compatible with Micromax devices only
  • The program may sometimes be unstable
  • You might notice interface bugs
  • Nothing really unique from earlier versions
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

Nero StartSmart 15.0.03500

The Nero that turns your computer into a smart machine

By Jane Middleburg

On Thursday, April 3, 2014

The new version of Nero StartSmart is smarter than ever before. With a nicer interface in which you can choose any kind of option for burnings your optical discs and even convert your multimedia files. I think that Nero has turned its software into a real multimedia manager, not only for playing but for edit any kind of video and music. It is a very useful utility for burning my DVDs in an easy way. I’ve found it specially useful for managing my movies and edit their covers. This way I can create copies of my original discs and get them with me in case I travel around, or taking these copies without worrying my original copies get damaged.

If you count with a disc burner, I think this application is the one you need for making the most of your hardware in your computer. Additionally it counts with different kinds of editors, so you can customize your files before burning them into the CD or DVD you want to create. I have to try the part of managing the media content from the TV, but judging by the result of the rest of the application I’m sure it will work well enough.

Pros

• Manage your multimedia files easily
  • Burns any kind of disc in just a few steps
  • Create covers for your discs

Cons

• It could be more complete with additional tools
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

Plants VS Zombies 4.0

Plants on my garden and zombies want to eat me, eeek!

By Will Terry

Plants vs Zombies was the first mobile game I’ve ever completed. I think it is a great title with a funny gameplay. The diversity of the available plants is great, and the combinations you can make with them make the game even better than at first sight. The game is really simple; you have to plant your defenses in the different tiles of your garden. Each plant costs suns, which are generated automatically or thanks to the sunflowers. The main plants will be the pea shooters, since they can beat down the zombies with enough time to plan your next movement.

The different available levels make the game to be long enough, and the variety such as the funny boss battles and others make Plants vs Zombies a great mobile app. Enjoy the mini-games you have completed from the main menu, lots of puzzles available and try the survival mode to check how long can you survive to the deadly zombies out there. There is an additional mode for creating your own avatar zombie with different elements that you can get from the shop of the game. Many hours of fun from the moment you install the game on your mobile device, completely recommended!

Pros

• Colorful and correct visual aspect
  • Variety of funny zombies and plants

Cons

• Sometimes the game lagged on my smartphone
  • An online mode would be awesome
Playability:
Graphics:
Sound:
Multiplayer:

Minecraft 1.9

Play Minecraft in a completely pixeled world and build what you want

By Chris Larrage

The first time the game appeared in front of me it was something curious. The graphics, the gameplay and the overall aspect of Minecraft were something that weren’t attractive at all, but then I played it, and I had to change my mind. The main aspect of the game is that it is really fun. It is incredibly customizable; you can create any kind of building with lots of patience and the correct blocks. It takes you some time to get the elements you want, as well as the weapons. The freedom the game gives is impressive, and you can act as you want without limits.

Something that improves the game is the possibility of installing mods. This way you can customize even further Minecraft with better graphics or additional content included in these mods. The objective of the game is to survive against creepers and other players online with the elements you have crafted. When the night comes, the enemies will appear and attack everything in their sight, even your own buildings. If you want to play sometime in a world completely pixelated, Minecraft is an excellent option. Play as if it were a LEGO computer game and create the world your way.

Pros

• You can create the world your way
  • Complete freedom for doing whatever you want
  • Craft your own elements and weapons

Cons

• Graphics have to be better
  • Gameplay is maybe too simple
Playability:
Graphics:
Sound:
Multiplayer:

Adobe Dreamweaver CS5

Feel the freedom to create your webpage with complete and useful tools

By Chris Larrage

Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 includes some useful tools for creating any kind of website in a workflow very similar to what you can find in Photoshop or any Adobe software. I used this application for some basic projects I had in mind and if you have used some of Adobe programs before, you will find that Dreamweaver offers a similar working way and thanks to the templates it offers, it is much easier than just designing your website on your own.

The main aspect of this program is the tools and possibilities it grants. With so little knowledge before you start your project, and patience, you will be able to come with really great websites, maybe not as good as you will make learning advanced techniques, but they will be good enough.

I really recommend this application for those users that want to start learning how to create their own websites. It is good learning software for which you will be able to find any kind of help all over the Internet with tutorials and users’ guides. Give it a chance and learn along the time you will spend with it in case you want an application like this.

Pros

• Very complete tools and functions
  • Use of templates for your personal projects
  • Compatible with WordPress and other web software

Cons

• May be not so easy to use if you are not used to Adobe
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

Avira Free Antivirus 14.0.3.350

Avira Free Antivirus 2014 in your computer protects all your data

By Chris Larrage

There are many options to download for protecting your computer. This Avira Free Antivirus 2014 includes some utilities for improving your security against viruses and malware in general. Avira Antivirus 2014 can be used in a simple way, and I’ve found no problem at all using this in my computer.

In general, this antivirus is not so different from others that I could try before, and honestly I find almost all of them quite similar in their functions. The only thing I think it is different for this one is the possibility it grants for protecting my Android mobile device. This way it features some advanced protection functions.

The updates every 6 hours or so makes it protect your computer way better than other programs that are not so detailed in their virus databases. The scanning process of the whole computer could be faster, and that would be very awesome. The toolbar for Internet browsers I think is not so necessary but it blocks many annoying elements such as pop-ups and some adware that tries to be installed on my computer. Definitively, Avira Free Antivirus 2014 is a good application for protecting your system in an easy way.

Pros

• Easy use and automatic updates
  • Advanced protection for your computer
  • Support for Android devices at the same time

Cons

• It could be much faster
  • For total protection use it with additional programs
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6

An essential must-have for every aspiring or professional graphic designer

By Ivy Paloma

CorelDraw Graphics Suite is one of the fastest illustrators existing on the market today and also one of the uncomplicated graphic design software to use. There are various learning resources like video tutorials available online to help first time users learn new tricks and tips. The suite is composed of a user-friendly environment, new upgraded powerful graphic design, photo-editing and website design features. It is compatible with 64-bit processor that will allow its users to process much larger files and images. The main programs that I find useful are the Corel Drax, a vector graphics software and photo editing tool, Corel Photo Paint. Other programs that can also be utilized are the drag-and-drop web design called Corel web designer and if you want a digital look, you can use Corel Connect. There are also several other add-ins available. What I fancy like about this program is the option to choose between the Standard CorelDraw Graphics Suite which is free and can obtain the latest uploads or the Premium which is paid to let you enjoy the full and latest software version, functions and upgrades. CorelDraw Graphics Suite is a great alternative for the expensive and overrated art design software offered in the market today.

Pros

• Works faster and more efficiently
  • Compatible version with graphic tablets
  • Offers hundreds of professionally-designed templates
  • DVD and online versions for sale

Cons

• For Windows operating system only
  • It is quite difficult for beginners
  • Minor processing and exporting issues
  • Requires proposed level of integration between applications
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

Android PC Suite 1.7.16.278

Have complete control over your phone’s contents and settings using your PC

By Ivy Paloma

Android PC Suite is a free synchronization tool that was developed by Pandaap. What I like about this software is the assistance it provided in downloading games, eBooks, videos, ringtones, themes and wallpapers for my Android phone. Aside from the usual downloads, organizing files and other important contents is a major reason this software is considered a must have. I find Android PC Suite easy to use. Once the device is connected to a PC with the use of USB connector, it gives you full access to your phone's contents and files. Its functional utilities allow me to manage and organize my files, music and other multimedia folders directly from my PC. Importing and exporting my contacts and sending SMS straight from my desktop also comes in handy. I can back up important messages, call logs, pictures, music and video files and keep all these things secured. It prevents losing important files and information that are valuable to me. The simplicity of the software's interface helps a new user to find tools they need easily. Among all the features of Android PC Suite, the best comfort it gives me is the process of transferring my files from phone to my desktop without any hassle.

Pros

• Free and practical for Android users
  • Easy process of transferring files
  • Colorful and uncomplicated software interface
  • Variety of unique and functional features

Cons

• Requires high specs to enable it to run
  • Needs high memory for storage
  • Requires higher RAM to function smoothly
  • Less creative notification panel for updates
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

AutoCAD 2016

Create 2D and 3D Designs with the New AutoCAD 2014

By Ivy Paloma

When designing buildings, objects and anything with precision in 3D or even 2D, I find AutoCAD 2014 the most complete software to do the job. Before I started using it, I had to go through an extensive documentation that goes along with its series of tutorials. I also had to get a powerful computer to run it, which does not come at a low price. Nonetheless, it was all worth it and I’ll tell you why.

AutoCAD is incredibly versatile. It is suitable for both 3D and 2D drawings which allow users like me to customize almost every aspect of my designing process. In recent years, the intuitive interface has been improved at a high level that now makes it easier for me to identify different available functions. I can create DWG files and edit them quickly and, now that the software is available on Mac, I can even work across platforms too.

On the other hand, I know some colleagues that don’t like it whenever they use the software to edit their designs and plans. Updating plans and designs has to be done very carefully because related files are not automatically updated. Even when a little detail in a section of a building design is changed, the entire plan has to be manually changed.

In addition to this, the biggest turn-off for many users is the cost. AutoCAD 2014 doesn’t come cheap. It is one of the most expensive software I have ever purchased. However, its complexity and power justified the cost more for many professionals.

Pros

• Can be used to create a plan in 2D and 3D
  • Provides many features for its users
  • Enables users to create and edit DWG files in different platforms
  • Contains many features for customization

Cons

• Requires powerful computer to operate it
  • Costs more than other CAD software
  • Difficult to learn and master
  • Cannot be printed in PDF version
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

Adobe Photoshop CS6

Photoshop: new look, great new features, and many user-inspired enhancements

By Ivy Paloma

I tried using Adobe Photoshop CS6 on my computer, and I can say that for a newbie photo editor like me, using this program is quite difficult. I have not used any photo editing applications from Adobe before and I am only familiar with using GIMP to edit photos and draw people orcharacters most of the time. So you can imagine trying a new one can be a daunting experience.

Initially, I tried to use the tool buttons that are included in this new software. Hands down to Adobe since they did a good job on providingthese useful tools that assist photo editing aficionados. Most of the tools were advanced and improved, but for a beginner like me, I find themhard to get used to. Another thing was when I looked at its interface, it is unlike other versions of Adobe Photoshop that I had seen from thetutorials available on the internet. It seems that the new version has a darker interface than others. Nonetheless, what I like about thisprogram is the Content Aware because it is helpful. Most novice users will be confused the first time they utilize this software. But I believeyou will eventually get used to it. I am looking forward to mastering the different features of this application.

Pros

• It improves speed and performance
  • Excellent text and shape improvements
  • Provides powerful video editing tool
  • New Background Save and Auto-Recovery features

Cons

• Fast graphics card is essential
  • Does not work with iCloud
  • Price may be too expensive for some
  • Bridge CS6 does not have significant improvements
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

Need for Speed Underground 2

The underground is your territory, make it yours on the asphalt

By Will Terry

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Welcome to the street racing monument that Electronic Arts has released for PC. Need For Speed Underground 2 includes more cars, more speed and more tracks than the previous version, and of course the cars are now more customizable for competing against the computer or against your friends. The way you can control the different cars respond very well to the controller. I love driving Nissan Skyline on Bayview, and with the wheel controller I have installed on my PC I can enjoy the speed as if it were real from my room.

The city is really big and offers you several alternative routes. The game introduces different kinds of competitions, and the car model you should choose is different depending on the features they have. The good part of this game is that the variety of the cars included is really high for the series, but not for car simulator like Gran Turismo, which I think it is the reference for this kind of games. In this case there are available more than 80 different cars and all of them are different. The game is really funny to play and it is a must for all the fans of racing games and the franchise.

Pros

• High number of available cars
  • Speed feeling very well performed
  • Different kinds of tracks and races

Cons

• There is no damage in the cars
  • It could be better technically speaking
Playability:
Graphics:
Sound:
Multiplayer:

Microsoft Word 2013 2016

More than Words this is the standard of text processing

By Jane Middleburg

I’ve been trying this text processor since it was released and I must say that it is very useful and comfortable. The new interface has been modified since the Ribbon was included in the Office package. There are some useful functions such as the improved correction feature that helps while you are writing your texts, and the additional help of dictionary and bibliography. I think this edition works very well; at least I hadn’t any kind of problem while I work with it. Its performance is outstanding on my computer and the different ways it lets me to save my documents are really helpful. It can even help you creating eBooks!

The interface is easy to use, placing the main options very accessible just in the upper side of the application. Now, for creating titles and subtitles you don’t need to investigate the menus, just select the parts you want to change and click on the option above and the format will be applied automatically. The new online tools for collaborating with more partners make this Microsoft Word 2013 a great and dynamic tool. Take a look at this application and discover all the features and functions that await you.

Pros

• Useful, helpful and easy to use
  • It helps the users with its functions
  • Online options for collaborating with my partners

Cons

• Ribbon interface can be confusing for new users
  • Live preview for formatting texts makes me nervous
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne 1.26a

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne reigns again over Azeroth land

By Chris Larrage

After beating the first Warcraft III: The Reign of Chaos, the story plot gets with a big cliffhanger about Arthas’ future. In this expansion all about the story is solved, even about the Orcs that are no longer in the human’s world. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne includes the same heroes for all races on the multiplayer game mode besides new champions. The new units in this expansion give a new way for playing with the different factions, solving some problems of balancing between the sides. About the graphics the game is the same, without many changes, which makes the game similar in essence to the first part.

Strategy games for PC have been very popular from the beginning, or at least as long as I can recall. This expansion for Warcraft III enhances the good aspects of the original title, but if you are looking for some great innovations this is not the game you want. The gameplay remains the same, creating buildings and new troops and organizing your own base for fighting against the other players and computer. To conclude this review, this expansion pack is good and enhances some aspects of the original title giving more variety.

Pros

• New champions and more soldiers
  • More upgrades have been included
  • Water units like ships are now usable

Cons

• Some parts of the game remains the very same
Playability:
Graphics:
Sound:
Multiplayer:

Avira Free Antivirus 14.0.3.350

Keep your PC free from all the Internet threats and enjoy

By Lily P. Evans

Avira Free AntiVirus 2014 is one of those antivirus you not trust because it is free, but if you this so, you are wrong. Avira is one of the best antivirus of the market, and even though the free version is a bit limited, it will keep your PC free from viruses, malware, Trojans, worms, etc. Of course, the premium version offers more features, but in my opinion, the free version is enough for the medium Internet user.

This antivirus will scan your PC every time you want. You can even schedule the scans once a week, once a day, or whatever you prefer. Once the scans are over, the program will provide you with a complete report about all what happens in your PC. This way, you can see if you have infected files, if you have some problems when starting the PC, etc.

In addition, is has two interesting new features compared to its predecessor. If you have children, you will be happy ,and above all secure, when they are on the Internet. SocialShield is a parental control feature with which you can monitor you kids when using Twitter, Facebook, etc. Besides, you can provide security to your Android device thanks to Avira Free Android Security, an app that you can download from your mobile and that protects your device.

Pros

• This program is free to download
  • It scans your PC when you want

Cons

• THe premium version has more features
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

LingvoSoft English-Bengali Dictionary 2015

If you are learning Bengali, or English, this is the perfect dictionary for you

By Steven Moore

I was looking for an English-Bengali dictionary for a long time, and finally I've found it. Besides, it is a very good dictionary! Lingvosoft's dictionary has more than 40000 translated worlds, and it provides you with detailed explanations on how to use these words. For a person who is trying to learn Bengali, this is a very useful software. It also serves as a thesaurus since it provides you with the synonyms of all these words thanks to the Advanced Synonym Search.

Another useful feature is that if you do not know how to correctly spell a word, you can type it more or less precisely and the dictionary will automatically find the correct word. However, even though it is not in this program, Lingvosoft has more bidirectional dictionaries such as English-Finnish, English-Bosnian, or even English-Latin. It is obvious that this company cares about its users. They provide their programs for free, but this not means that the programs are not carefully done. The interface is customizable, so you can organize everything at will, and it is also intuitive, so you will easily get used to it.

Pros

• The dictionary has a thesaurus included
  • It gives you explanations about the words

Cons

• It has no more languages
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.1

The best photo editor with all tools at your hands

By Steven Moore

Adobe Photoshop CC is a graphic editor developed and published by Adobe. It is the latest release of the famous software series, and it includes plenty of new features for the users. It is part of the Adobe Creative Cloud, and, for having it, you need a CC subscription.

The most acclaimed novelty is everything related to the Camera Raw 8 tools, since they have been highly improved. Now, you have the ability to be more precise when healing images, creating vignettes or fixing perspective. Others of its important new features are the new Camera Shake Reduction and the Smart Sharpen. With the first one, you can focus your image more precisely. The software recognizes the edges and the textures to minimize that annoying noise and to clarify the images, removing everything out of focus. The Camera Shake Reduction is quite similar, but instead of reducing the lack of focus, it corrects the shake of the images. The software analyzes the trajectory of the images and restores almost all the sharpness.

Finally, the last of the most important features, in my opinion, is the Perspective Warp. In addition, this feature is completely new instead of being an improved feature. With it, you will have the ability to adjust the perspective of an item of your image without affecting the rest of the elements of the image. In my opinion, Adobe Photoshop CC is an image editor that every image enthusiastic must have.

Pros

• New features to make your easier your work
  • Improved feature such as the Camera Raw ones

Cons

• It is too much expensive
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

Microsoft Office Professional 2007

The perfect tool for students or people that works with files

By Steven Moore

Microsoft, coinciding with the release of Windows Vista, released Microsoft Office Professional 2007 in 2006 for the business market and2007 for the general public. This is the first version that radically changes the interface and replaces the usual menu and toolbar with the ribbon interface. This new interface is known as Office Fluent, and it is still used in the new Office versions. Thus, your experience with this suite will be fluent and easy, since the ribbon interface provides you with all the tools at your disposal at first sight. Besides, you can customize what you want to see, add buttons and move the ribbon, so you will have everything at will.

Now, everything is divided into tabs. You will have a tab for every task you want to carry out. For instance, in home you will have the main tools for a regular file. You will also have Insert, to add external files to your document, Review, to check out the number or words, etc.

This suite includes the well-known software Excel, PowerPoint and Word, and also Outlook, Publisher and Accounting Express. However, if you are looking for Access or OneNote, this is not your pack. Nevertheless, this suite is perfect for students or regular users since the major software are included.

Pros

• The Ribbon interface is quite useful
  • Tabs facilitates your work a lot

Cons

• It has not the tool Access
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Full Version

Big Boss is back before his biggest adventure ever takes place

By Chris Larrage

As a fan of the whole Metal Gear Solid series, this game has been so different, but I like it. The menu for equipping weapons and other gadgets has been modified, and now It is in real time, just like when you want to access to the map of Camp Omega, the place where Chico and Paz have been moved. The game takes place just after Peace Walker, which was released for PSP and lately for PS3 and Xbox 360 in HD version. This is very important for catching the story plot.

The graphics are really incredible, the best I have seen on PS3. The compatibility with external devices, such as my smartphone, and the possibility of using this for some aspects of the game is a very clever move. I miss some of the gadgets you had before such as the soliton radar that is not included in this installment, but I guess every player can get used to the new system.

The length of the game is the main weak spot. The main mission only takes a couple hours as much to beat it. Luckily, the extras and even the special Déjà vu mission makes the game to live a little longer. Recommendable for fans of the MGS series.

Pros

• Great graphic design, the best for PS3 and Xbox 360
  • Compatibility with external mobile devices
  • Big Boss is back better than ever

Cons

• It takes a couple hours to beat
  • Different gameplay system and menu design
Playability:
Graphics:
Sound:
Multiplayer:

Skype 7.27.32.101

If you have family or friends in other countries, Skype is the perfect program

By Steven Moore

When the extinction of Messenger was announced, I think that no software will be able to replace it, but here Skype is. It is exactly the same, but in addition you can phone people all over the world. You can do what you did with Messenger, and many more things. Provided he or she has Skype installed, you can talk with this person regardless where she or he is. This is a great advantage for those people whose relatives live at the other end of the world. In addition, you can send them screenshots, images and video files, and also audio files.

Moreover, it is quite useful that Skype has Facebook integrations. This way, you can find all your Facebook friends who also use Skype and call them. You can join together 300 people in the same conversation, which is very useful for business groups. Nevertheless, you can make a videoconference just with one single person unless you have a premium account. The premium account will provide you with the ability to videophone more than one person at the same time, so you all can see your faces when talking.

In conclusion, this software is very useful since you can call other people in a free way, regardless their location and the device they have.

Pros

• It is free if the other person also has Skype
  • You can create groupal conversations

Cons

• You need premium account to call more than one person at once
Usability:
Performance:
Interface: