REVIEW LIST

Facebook Chat Instant Messenger 1.1

Stay close and connected with your friends by instant messaging

By Ivy Paloma

On Thursday, April 10, 2014

I never fail to check my Facebook profile every day. I would check my Facebook profile every once in a while whether I am at home, at work and even at public transport. It has become my habit and obviously takes an immense part of my daily routine. A friend of mine, who works in other country, introduced me to Facebook Chat Instant Messenger. With a stable internet connection, the downloading would take less than a minute and the set up process would take a few minutes with very easy steps. I enjoyed keeping in touched with my friends by sending messages from my desktop. This application allows me to chat and send messages to my Facebook friends without logging into Facebook. Having a group chat with this application is very convenient too! I can stay connected with the chat even when I am watching a video on another window of my computer. It offers features like emoticons, status updates, easy and clear interface and many more. Just like Facebook chat, FBCIM has similar attributes. Never miss a message and get notified with sound alerts for incoming messages. I surely had more fun while talking to friends using this Facebook chat instant messenger.

Pros

• It has the capacity to send SMS
  • It is simple and easy to use
  • It is simple and easy to use
  • Can group chat with up to 200 people

Cons

• No list of friends online
  • Display pictures of friends missing when using SMS.
  • Some messages received in duplicate.
  • Some messages received in duplicate.
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

Opera Mini 14.0.0

Enjoy the features of this Web Browser App straight from your smartphone

By Ivy Paloma

On Monday, April 7, 2014

After getting my new smartphone, I learned that Opera Software recently developed a new application that will enable smartphones to have Internet access. Opera Mini, a portable web browsing application, allows users like me to go on websites and enjoy the Internet. With its great features and increased internet browsing speed, Internet users will never have a problem looking for a device which has good and fast web browsing properties.

I find Opera Mini plain yet powerful. Once I installed it in my smartphone, I immediately had quick access to the Internet. Its interface is not that different from the Opera desktop browser itself. Aside from the fact that this web browsing app produces good browsing speed, it can also be downloaded for free.

For me, Opera Mini is a better option if compared to other web browsing applications like Mozilla Firefox. It is fast and absolutely free. Internet users who are conscious about their data consumption will like this app. It also works well with Opera Mail and other established Opera products.

From its functionalities to its additional features and fast browsing capabilities, this is an application that people with smartphones will desire to have. Truly, Opera Mini is one of the best products that only Opera Software could offer.

Pros

• It has faster internet browsing
  • This application works for every mobile device
  • Save more money due to low data consumption
  • Synchronization between different mobile devices

Cons

• This application does not support extensions
  • Most programs can also do the functionalities
  • Difficulty of launching Youtube videos
  • Does not have Flash or even HTML5
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

Need for Speed Most Wanted

Experience Real Street Racing with Hot Fast Cars in Need for Speed

By Ivy Paloma

On Monday, April 7, 2014

At first glance, I noticed how Need for Speed Most Wanted is considerably a well-developed video game. Just by looking at the graphic details of the game, I immediately find it astonishing. I bet the production value of this video game is worth a lot. Criterion Games and EA Black, the game’s developers, may not have minded the cost because the game has earned many awards since its development nineteen installments ago. Among its numerous awards are Best Driving Game and Best Online Multiplayer Game for the year 2012.

The goal is for a player to be the city's no. 1 street racer. In order for me to be at the top, I have to gather points by winning street races. To win races, I had to evade cops and avoid being caught on camera by speed-sensor cameras. The chaos ensues when all players, who are free to race around the city to compete against other drivers, drive recklessly. Pedestrians always become the casualties in these races.

Nonetheless, Need for Speed offered a convincing open-world driving atmosphere where I cruised every corner of a difficult network of crowded urban streets, narrow mountain roads and high-speed freeways. I had no difficulty unlocking almost every hidden area just like with the past NFS games.

Added to the street racing experience is the game’s music track. Partnered with its cool graphics, I almost felt like I was in a real street race. Everything looked very exciting until the cops arrive to chase around the illegal street racers. Unexpectedly, this pumps up the adrenaline to the race.

Pros

• Players race against each other without rules
  • Well designed open world environment
  • No police chases in multiplayer game
  • The game has great visuals

Cons

• Lack of race events to play
  • It has no story line
  • The game has repetitive music track
  • No police chases in multiplayer game
Playability:
Graphics:
Sound:
Multiplayer:

Microsoft Office Professional 2007

Increase your Productivity at Work with this Brilliant Office Package

By Reinalei Jamir

On Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I got the Microsoft Office Professional 2007, the newest addition to the line of office packages produced by Microsoft, one of the leading product development industries today. Microsoft Office plays a key role in personal computers since Microsoft launched it 17 years ago. Today, it still continues to be a part of my life by helping me do my daily tasks.

Microsoft launches a new version of Office every few years. I always expect innovation as it is released in the market, and they have never failed me. More especially now, the new Office package has been improved, which will be very useful for my day to day operations both at work and at home.

The Microsoft Office Professional 2007 still includes the components that were present in previous versions like Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, which are three of my favorites. There are also additional components like the Microsoft Access and Publisher. As versions of this package keep on improving, I have always enjoyed the functionalities of its applications and the designs of its new user interface.

Each application in this package is very important for office works. Users like me will never have a hard time doing office works using it. I have always appreciated the useful features presented in this new version of office package, which makes this software a must have for people around the world.

Pros

• Can connect even from distant locations
  • The applications are easy to use
  • Office has a complete set of tools
  • Improved file recovery of documents

Cons

• The software is too much expensive
  • It requires more computer space due to large file size
  • Without direct compatability to older documents
  • The layout is completely distant with old versions
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

Internet Download Manager 6.26 Build 2

Boost your download speed by up to 5 times faster

By Isay Almenanza

On Monday, April 7, 2014

I could exactly remember the first time I used Internet Download Manager or IDM as many avid users would call it for downloading games for my own leisure. I was totally awed by the improvements and modifications made for this software version. Nearly everyone I know use IDM for increasing their download speed, well, in fact, there are still many benefits we can get while using the software. Have you ever experienced being disconnected to the internet or any interruption that leads your computer to shutdown itself while in the middle of downloading a huge file? I am in a great distress when this happens. Sounds like I am ranting but this is how I grasped the benefit I could get from IDM. The software will automatically restart the process to where it was interrupted. The internal process of splitting and saving a single file download, as it is being transferred, is very interesting. Once the download is done, it will automatically combine the several file downloaded into the original file. There is still a lot of fascinating features of this software that I have not discovered yet, it may be very technical but nevertheless, this software made an exceptional difference with my downloading activities.

Pros

• It has a Resume Download Capability
  • It is the easy way to download videos and stuff
  • It has a variety of options for saving files
  • It can prioritize download speed

Cons

• It only has 30-day trial
  • All bandwidth is used when downloading at full speed
  • It does not contain a built-in video converter
  • It does not support torrent downloads
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

Adobe Photoshop CS5

Bring out the Best in your Digital Images through this Powerful Tool

By Reinalei Jamir

On Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Adobe recently released the newest version of Photoshop and it dazzled image editing professionals around the world, including me. With new features that will bring innovation to the world of digital photography, this software made a statement of becoming a household trend in the world of technology.

Like its predecessors, I noticed how Adobe Photoshop CS5 possesses similar qualities that users love. But what made this version topple its predecessors, is that it has new tools and functions that brought improvements to my image editing experience. It has features that may seem useless, but I learned and mastered all the new tools and functions easily as I explored each of the features.

New tools featured in this application include Photo Merge, Puppet Wrap, create bristle combinations with New Mixing Machine Brush and Grains paired with vignette effects. It also has automated lens correction and Area Healing Brush, which I found very clever because I can delete desired image areas. It even supports cross-platform and has enhanced grayscale conversion.

Modern day users like me will not have a problem using this brand new software because its layout is very much similar with the older version. This is the reason why this new software is a must for all image editing aficionados out there.

Pros

• The new features will greatly improve images
  • Users will enjoy the new effects
  • Users have the option to switch between different workspaces
  • Users have the option to switch between different workspaces

Cons

• More expensive than earlier versions
  • More expensive than earlier versions
  • Requires a powerful PC for installation
  • Latest version is not recommended for users new with Adobe Photoshop
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

Facebook for Every Phone 64.0

Communication made easier with this Social Media Innovation for Mobile Devices

By Ivy Paloma

On Monday, April 7, 2014

Finally, social media has entered new heights with another breakthrough in networking technology as the mobile version of Facebook has been released. Facebook for Every Phone is a one of a kind application that allows mobile device and smartphone users like me to experience the power of social networking at a press of a button.

I find Facebook for Every Phone 7.0 very convenient to use. It was designed to offer access to the popular social networking site and is mostly compatible for over 2,500 phone models. It is available for mobile devices like Android, Windows Mobile, Java mobile phones and iOS.

Through this app, I am able to use important features of Facebook such as upgrades in the user’s status and profile images, sharing links, liking pages, and commenting on posts. I was also able to find my friends directly from my phone.

What’s more, Facebook has made an agreement with several cell carriers around the globe to offer free data usage of the application. Now there’s more reason for me to explore the functionalities of this new app. The possibilities are endless and with Facebook for Every Phone 7.0, I can enjoy communicating with friends and connect with different people from anywhere in the world. Even with limited use of computers, I can access and enjoy Facebook using their phone.

Pros

• The Application is easy to use
  • This application can be used with any Internet enabled phone
  • Update is free for this application
  • Supports languages like Chinese, French, Italian and Spanish

Cons

• Other people cannot use your phone due to Privacy Concerns.
  • There is no Chat Feature.
  • The layout is different from PC version.
  • Advertising Options are quite limited
Usability:
Performance:
Interface:

Hotspot Shield 5.4.11

Protect your Privacy and Enjoy a Secure and Unrestricted Browsing Experience

By Christine Diaz

On Monday, April 7, 2014

.. It also protects your computer from hackers at Wi-Fi hotspots, airports, hotels, ISP hubs and corporate offices..

Pros

• Easy to download and install
  • It provides unlimited data transfer
  • Secures the internet connection of your computer
  • Protects your computer from different kinds of spying

Cons

• It modifies your browser settings
  • Torrent downloads are not allowed
  • Speed of connection is affected when program is activated
  • This freeware is advertiser supported aka Adware
Usability:
Performance:
Guides-manuals:
Interface:

Microsoft Word 2013 2016

Office is always a good option to have all the necessary tools

By Steven Moore

On Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Microsoft productivity suite is a must-have in every computer, especially when we talk about Microsoft Word. I've have always used Word instead of other programs such as Open Office, even though Microsoft Office is much more expensive, because the features that it offers are many more. You can integrate lots of useful plugins to make your software more productive. In addition, it has Cloud integration, so you can save your documents online and avoid losing it if your computer fails.

This 2013 version brings lots of new features apart from the Cloud services integration. Now, you can use predefined templates instead of a black page. However, the most outstanding new feature is that now, you can open and edit PDF files. Nevertheless, not everything is advantages. Several shortcuts have been removed, forcing users to use the toolbar. This has annoyed users too much, and lots of them have preferred staying with the 2010 version, which have all the shortcuts.

In my opinion, Cloud services are not enough to make users forget about the shortcuts, and the speed with which you can do your works is more important than saving them on the cloud.

Pros

• Cloud services integration to save your documents
  • Now you can have predefined templates
  • The interface is easier to use
  • You can edit PDF files

Cons

• It has lost the useful shortcuts
  • Word 2013 is very expensive
  • There are other free alternatives but they are not as good as Microsoft Word
  • Toolbar is different and can be confusing
Usability:
Performance:
Guides-manuals:
Interface:

Adobe Photoshop CS6

Photoshop CS6 has everything you need to retouch your pictures

By Steven Moore

In this review, I'm going to explain some of the main features of Adobe Photoshop CS6. This is the last title before the appearance of CC Adobe content. For many people, this is the last user-friendly version since the CC version has more features, but far more complicated. However, Photoshop CS6 has useful features that can be used by beginners such as the Content Aware Move tool or the Content Aware Patch tool. They are very useful when you want to work with background images and move or remove the main image.

Filters have also been improved. You will have more intuitive blur filters such as Tilt-shift, Iris blur and Field blur, and you can also correct wide-angle lenses with the Adaptive Wide Angle filter. Apart from improvements on its features, the interface now provides the user with a more smooth control, and all the elements are easier to see.

In conclusion, you can retouch your images and even video files and create masterpieces from simple pictures or videos. From professional works to just a few image retouches, you can use Photoshop CS6 regardless your level of knowledge about Photoshop. Of course, if you are a beginner, you will not do the same than a profession, but Photoshop CS6 simplifies your work a lot.

Pros

• It has lots of new features
  • It can be used even by beginners
  • The interface is now more user-friendly
  • You can also edit video files

Cons

• Get the full version is very expensive
  • It can be a bit complicated at first
  • This is only a demo
  • Content-Aware tool is too much complex
Usability:
Performance:
Guides-manuals:
Interface:

Need for Speed Most Wanted

One of the best Need for Speed games to play

By Steven Moore

I especially like this game because apart from having the PC version, I can also play on my mobile. Even when I play on my phone, I can see the details of the cars, and controls are smooth. However, playing on PC is easier since controls are more specific, and you can perform more actions and movements. I prefer accelerate by myself than that the game does it automatically. The game modes are also a great point of the PC version. Thanks to them, I never get bored of playing. Pursuit challenges are incredible since it can unleash your adrenaline and run as fast as possible while running away from police and other players.

Nevertheless, the most outstanding feature is the Multiplayer mode. I can play with my friends in 4 game modes, and the Performance matching is great since I can have a powerful car as my friends have. This way, there is not unfair play since we all have a car with similar features, and no one can be faster or powerful. Everyone has the same possibilities of winning, and all depends on our abilities. Finally, the only thing I must say is that you cannot get bored of playing, even though the game consists on running again and again.

Pros

• It has mobile phone version
  • Smooth controls when playing on PC
  • Lots of game modes to avoid getting bored
  • Beautiful cars to be customized

Cons

• Mobile version is a bit limited
  • Multiplayer mode needs a powerful internet connection
  • Graphics could be a bit better
  • It is a bit difficult to master
Playability:
Graphics:
Sound:
Multiplayer:

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Full Version

The prequel of the complete Metal Gear Solid V game

By Lily P. Evans

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is the prequel, and first part, of the Metal Gear Solid V game. In the game, we will see how Big Boss falls into a 9 years coma due to the events that occurred in Mother Base and Camp Omega. In the continuation, we will see that Big Boss has lost his left arm.

As every Metal Year game, you have to be stealthy to accomplish all missions. However, this title has a more open-world than the previous ones, and you can decide the order in which you want to complete the missions. Another difference regarding the former titles is that there are not those annoying loading screens when you go through the map. You can simply travel without waiting for anything.

Finally, I just have to say that every time they release a new release of the saga, the graphics are highly improved. You can see every detail of Snake's appearance, and also the environments are very well designed. The only drawback a can find is that since there is no a linear storyline, you can get a bit lost. Nevertheless, this is normal, and expected, by all fans of Metal Gear games.

Pros

• You can complete the missions when you want
  • The story is very interesting
  • The open world allows you to do what you want
  • There are no loading screens

Cons

• It can be a bit confusing
  • If you are not patient, stealth missions can be boring
  • Graphics are so powerful that the game does not work fluently
  • The protagonists are always the same
Playability:
Graphics:
Sound:
Multiplayer:

Adobe Photoshop CS5

The image retouch software that everyone must have at home

By Lily P. Evans

Photoshop CS5 is graphics editor software with which you can retouch your images and make them look professional. You can use it to modify simple things such as hair color, make-up mistakes, etc. but this is only a little part of what you can do with this Photoshop.

In terms of the new features of the CS5 version, I could highlight the new and more efficient interface that allows storing the workspaces automatically and change quickly amongst them. Adobe has also improved the technology of the smart selection. Now, to remove backgrounds is quite easier than in the previous versions of this program.. However, the most important change, in my opinion, is that now I have the ability to transform images without changing all the areas. Thanks to this option, you can deform just an area of your picture, and the rest can stand still.

The last thing I have to mention in this review is the HDR Pro tool. It is specially used by photographers since it allows you to retouch the tones, making them more powerful. With this tool, you can create images with a high dynamic range and make surrealistic images from regular ones.

Pros

• Lots of new features in CS5 version
  • It is easy when you get used to it
  • You can make your images look professional
  • Useful tools to imporve your pictures

Cons

• The full version is expensive
  • CS5 is a bit outdated due to CC
  • Demo version can be used just a few days
  • It can be difficult to master
Usability:
Performance:
Guides-manuals:
Interface:

Plants vs Zombies 2 5.2.1

Zombies are everywhere! Avoid being eaten by hordes of hungry undeads

By Lily P. Evans

Plants vs. Zombies 2 is a great mobile game. You can hang out killing zombies with living plants that have different attacks. There are new plants in this title, but I still like the previous one more than this. However, the new plants are very funny and useful, like the Bonk Choy, that punches zombies right in the face and hits very quickly or the Snap Dragon, which throws fire in several lanes. Nevertheless, the new zombies are quite annoying, especially the Explorer of the ancient Egypt, that burns my plants without even give me a chance of avoiding it. The only way of avoiding him is placing an Iceberg Lettuce, but they recharge very slowly.

The fact of playing in different territories is quite entertaining. You can think that you will miss the pool or the roof, but each territory has something similar and even more complicated. The Pirate Seas are more difficult than the pool levels of the first title since they cut your lane, and you cannot place more than a few plants. In conclusion, the game is great, very entertaining for spending your time playing on your phone, and you can become a master if you play often.

Pros

• Lots of worlds to play
  • New zombies to eat you
  • New plants to defend yourself
  • Improved graphics regarding the first tittle

Cons

• The game is more difficult than the former title
  • You have to pay for having some plants
  • You have to complete too many missions to unlock some plants
  • It does not have minigames
Usability:
Performance:
Guides-manuals:
Interface:

Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.1

The Photoshop edition is now on the cloud, look above

By Chris Larrage

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014

This Photoshop version may look similar to all the previous editions due to the interface, but it is very different, and that is not always a good thing. Adobe now requires an account for everything. I think it was much better before than the new Adobe situation when you didn’t need an Internet connection to access to Photoshop. Now you need to validate your Photoshop CC copy every 30 days by connecting to the Internet. I don’t like this new subscription model.

About the photo editor, it includes the same tools that made it into the most popular application, and even some new functions that make it even better, in spite of Adobe’s philosophy. The perspective wrap comes very handy for some of my graphical works offering a change of view in my pictures without too much difficulty. The performance has been improved, and it makes the most with the new hardware that is been released. One of the must try for photo and image edition.

Pros

• Photoshop CC includes new tools
  • More functions are included from time to time
  • It works better than previous versions
  • It has been improved for design

Cons

• I don’t like the Adobe subscription philosophy
  • It requires validation every month
  • Some tools are difficult to use
  • It takes too much time to master
Usability:
Performance:
Guides-manuals:
Interface:

Microsoft Office Professional 2007

The Office version that has really changed something at all

By Jane Middleburg

What can I tell about Microsoft Office? This is one of the basic software packages I ever knew. The first time I used it I almost fell off my chair with the new interface. It was so different that I couldn’t get where were most of the usual functions I used to use. With the past of the time, I finally started to get into Microsoft Office 2007, and I wouldn’t change it for nothing. I know that there are other Office suites that are free and all, but as long as Office is the standard I’ll use it.

It works really fine for creating presentations, documents or whatever you need. Access and Excel don’t work for me since I don’t really need them in my life, but I think that they are OK. Once you get how the interface works it is really comfortable with a quick access for the main functions you need like direct change for words font, highlighting and even changing the text’s style. The compatibility with plugins allows me to create PDF documents, and that rocks. Give it a try!

Pros

• New, useful and fancy interface
  • It includes a several utilities
  • Word has become a really big application
  • Works really well on my computer

Cons

• There are many utilities that I don’t need
  • Full version could be cheaper
  • It takes a time for getting used to it
  • Its default documents are not compatible with previous versions
Usability:
Performance:
Guides-manuals:
Interface:

Hotspot Shield 5.4.11

Avoid censorship and access to the videos and sites you want without limit

By Will Terry

On Monday, March 31, 2014

.. I hated when I couldn’t access to some video services to watch my favorite series before a long waiting until they were licensed here..

Pros

• Grants secutiry on public hostpots
  • It hides your IP from external sources
  • Very simple to use for everyone
  • It lets you to access to any website

Cons

• It slows down your download speed a bit
  • It needs more source variety
  • Not as advanced as other in the competence
  • It lacks more advanced configurations
Usability:
Performance:
Guides-manuals:
Interface:

VLC Media Player 2.2.4

Your home cinema is ready to shine with this fantastic cone

By Will Terry

I remember that computer age when you needed to install a codec in order to play a video you get from a friend or from a DVD. With VLC Media Player all that now belongs to the past since it plays any file I tried without a problem. This audio and video player has become very handy since all the basic functions that other applications could offer are included in this as well. Additionally, since it is an open source program, the community around it tries to keep it updated with new features and functions, collaborating with the official developers.

VLC is more than it can be expected, I can use it not only for my local videos but I can also play streaming videos. With the new browsers some people may think that this is not necessary, but counting with a good audio configuration and my own made settings for VLC, video and audio looks simply great.

The thing I think I like the most is the high number of features the application grants. The first time I tried it I thought that other player were much better than the simple cone application, but I couldn’t be more wrong. VLC can manage your videos, songs, and play online radio stations, all of this without taking into account the advanced functions it hides. Take a look at this application and discover a new way to play your multimedia files.

Pros

• It plays all the files you need
  • Support for video and audio streaming
  • Advanced configurations and functions included
  • High resolution formats are well-played

Cons

• It can’t play Blu-ray discs at the moment
  • It can have some issues with the performance
  • Interface too simple for most users
  • I had some issues with the sound sometimes
Usability:
Performance:
Guides-manuals:
Interface:

Plants vs Zombies 2 5.2.1

From time to time zombies want your brain and plants

By Chris Larrage

As a big fan of the first game, I tried this second installment and this is largely better, but it doesn’t feel as if it were the same. The inclusion of new types of plants, new zombie designs and more content make Plants vs Zombies 2 to be much bigger than the previous game. The good thing about the original game was that you didn’t have too much to worry about getting extra items or energy, just your plants, your garden and a horde of brain-eating zombies, but this game is not the same. Now you need to pay attention to more elements, and much of them are for purchase. The new fashion of play2win games is really disturbing and disgusting, and EA tries to make the most money as possible with this franchise, and that’s not a good thing for us, the players.

Technically the game is rather superior to the first, with incredible animations and a really nice design. In general this second edition of Plants vs Zombies 2 is much better than the first, but it lacks of the originality of that game that broke the rules of tower defense apps. In anyway, play the game and you’ll see for yourselves.

Pros

• A better graphical aspect than the previous game
  • More content with different available ages
  • New plants with different powers
  • New bonus stages depending on the day

Cons

• Too much content to purchase with real money
  • Some plants are not free at all
  • Modified mechanics that can ruin the game
  • The crazy neighbor and his car are the worse characters ever
Usability:
Performance:
Guides-manuals:
Interface:

Adobe Photoshop CS6

Adobe strikes back with its Photoshop image editor for PC

By Jane Middleburg

Well, finally I tried Adobe Photoshop CS6, and it is really difficult. It took me a while until I really get how it works. As you can guess, this was the first time I tried a Photoshop program, and it is not intuitive for first-timers at all. I checked several tutorials I found over the Internet until I started to understand how CS6 works, and then it really started to shine. I’m no good at all at image designing but with enough patience I could modify some pictures to make them look good for my friends, and even simple improvements such as color issues and fixing some blurry effects from my camera.

I read about the video-editing mode and decided to try it out, but this mode is not as well-designed as the image part. In general terms, it does not run very well on my computer since it is not very recent, but for I have seen on video tutorials I need a more powerful video card to apply effects in a more decent way. As a summary, Adobe Photoshop CS6 is a good program, but it requires a powerful computer for running it properly instead of having to wait until the effects you have chosen reflects on the image.

Pros

• Powerful effects that will change completely your pictures
  • Several tools for image enhancement
  • Also compatible with video editing
  • Get automatically the photos you made with your digital camera

Cons

• It requires a great computer to work
  • Not so easy for beginners
  • Some tools are not very intuitive
  • It needs some previous knowledge
Usability:
Performance: